Monday, September 13, 2010

Back to School Movies: Sex, Greed, Lawyers and Education


A lot of fall movies are coming out that I'm excited to see! One of which is The Social Network, about the creation of Facebook and the aftermath for the creator, Mark Zuckerberg. The tagline is "You don't get to 500 million friends without making a few enemies". The Social Network begins with the transformation of outsider Harvard Student, Zuckerberg, to millionaire party boy with groupies. It makes me miss the glory days of Facebook, when you were required to have a college e-mail address.Facebook has managed to ruin many people lives so it is only fair that it even burns its creator, Mark Zuckerberg. Last month it was reported that a Massachusetts high school teacher lost her job after her Facebook wall became public, she had commented that the students were "germ bags" and referred to the parents as "snobby" and "arrogant". Even in just small ways Facebook complicates our lives by informing all of your friends that you were just dumped or costing job opportunities for whatever personal information that is considered offensive, you're Team Edward, they're Team Jacob. Some may want to see The Social Network for the sex, booze and partying, perhaps to be inspired, but I just want to see the backlash of greed. The release date is October 1st. Although I write of the ills of Facebook, I still have my accounts for now, Facebook is a harsh mistress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53OUHupfqws


Second is Howl, when I saw the trailer for Howl I literally felt a flicker in my chest! Howl is a Biopic about Allen Ginsberg being played by the very handsome James Franco, that alone is a good reason to watch! The plot centers on the trial for 1957 obscenity trial for "Howl" written by Ginsberg. "Howl" describes illicit drug use and homosexual and hetrosexual sex acts which was way too unsavory for the 1950's. Jon Hamm aka, Don Drapper, is in the film as well, so for all Mad Men enthusiasts you better watch it! Howl blends black and white and color film in such a manner you are reminded of the difference between a film and a movie. It has been a year since my Poetry class in college, I am hoping this movie will inspire me to write and try to get published. I always have the intentions to sit down and write poetry but never seem to be able to do it. I decided to make a challenge for myself, with my lovely readers being witness, to write a poem a day, starting tomorrow until Howl release date September 24! That gives me ten days to write!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih_Eaodt0T8


Now I know you are thinking you are seeing a pattern, Biopic about a young man that is a talented genius with a crazy sex and intoxication but gets slammed with legal troubles! That is not back to school! Well I saved the best for last, this movie screams school because it is about education. Waiting for Superman is a documentary about the public education in United States, with personal struggles for parents and students to get the education that is deeply desired. Waiting for Superman is directed by Academy Award winning director,Davis Guggenheim, known for An Inconvenient Truth. By the looks of this trailer Waiting for Superman will make you many strong emotions from being thankful you or/and your children have a good education or frustrated because you face similar issues. Interested yet? By simply committing to see the movie you can get a code for $5 to pledge to a classroom of your choice. Check out the trailer to get a glimpse of this amazing movie and for more information on how you can make a difference in your community.

http://www.waitingforsuperman.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment